Monday 1 September 2014

Fresh Sewing Day - August is over

Not sure what happened to August, well 2 trips to the south of England to celebrate friends getting married, Nick stage managing a 2 week long run of Ghost the Musical at the theatre where we volunteer, me duty managing 4 of the performances, and me working in University Admissions which means August is my busiest and most stressful month of the year, that's what happened to August.

Although I had a break from almost all my Guiding volunteering activities and my theatre volunteering was relatively light, I wasn't as productive crafting wise in the evenings and the weekend time I did have as I'd hoped for, I do have a few things to share though.

Firstly my crochet vstitch blanket - started in July with no real purpose but decided to make it into a lap blanket for me. At the start of August it was 47 rows high and by the end of the month it was 100, long enough and ready for a border, with all 200 ends sewn in. This blanket came to work with me a lot but only actually got added to on one or two lunch breaks, but there was lots of opportunity for car crochet when it wasn't my turn to drive, a bit of theatre crochet, and plenty of curled up on the sofa after a hard day at work crochet. Hoping to get the border done over the next week and start using it- a friend is having a baby next month and I know she'd love a little crochet blanket - so I see a smaller gender neutral vstitch blanket starting as soon as this one is done.


Sewing wise I turned a pile of pieces of fabric cut at the end of July into a quilt top, and finished another quilt top from my finish along list, which was really satisfying as it had sat screwed up in my sewing room since i abandoned the pieces last Autumn. I also made 6 more blocks from Katy's book (which is another thing on my finish along list) and pattern tested Erin at Dog Under my Desk's fab new pattern for a little going out purse/bag. Erin's patterns deserve a whole blog post of their own which is on my to do list for this month - and Arm Candy is launching this week and is well worth snapping up if bag making takes your fancy.


September needs to involve lots of sewing, specifically basting, quilting and binding to clear the pile of quilt tops, most of which do have intended recipients. I have high hopes of finish a long finishes to share with you over the next few weeks, one at a time - I can do this. 

So I'm linking up with Lynne for the second time, both for fresh sewing day and small blog link up as my fledgeling blog is tiny at the moment. Have a great September everyone. 


                          

11 comments:

  1. Wow - a busy month all round! I love the colours of your blanket

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your crochet blanket is so pretty! Also, I love, love, love the quilt in the upper left on your second photo - how big is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely lot of makes!! I love that rainbow quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did well with your crafting this month - love the colours in your crochet blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sea greens and sky blues. They are the color of August. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the projects you posted, and the crochet blanket is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Helen your crochet blanket is gorgeous along with all your other lovely makes! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. the blanket is looking great, lovely colours and such an effective stitch. I haven't heard of Arm Candy, I'll have to check it out. I love that rainbow quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. August is a tricky sewing month isn't it? I need to catch up with and finish a couple of projects then get cracking with......Christmas makes!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had a wonderful month!! I'm always behind!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the blue/green quilt in your photos! The colors are beautiful and the composition is stunning

    ReplyDelete